Though it started as a grassroots revolution, the benefits of the 29" wheel size have since been trail tested and the movement continues to grow in popularity, bringing a range of new opportunities to the mountain biking experience. The latest version of the Diamondback Sortie, draws its inspiration from the original 26" Sortie, keeping the ride characteristics of the Sortie trail platform while introducing a handful of upgrades that reinforce the benefits of a larger wheel diameter.
Some substantial benefits of the 29" wheel platform include:
- Angle of Attack – Larger wheels decrease your angle of attack by allowing you to roll over obstacles easier and faster. Bigger wheel = smaller obstacle.
- Momentum – A larger wheel enables one to carry momentum easier though obstacles.
- Surface Contact – 29”wheels are less prone to sinking in soft material such as sand and mud due to the larger contact patch causing lower ground pressure. The longer contact patch increases cornering and straight line traction
- Stability – The relative position of the bottom bracket/cranks to the axles in the wheels also means that your relative center of gravity is lower. This results in a feeling of riding “in” the bike rather than on top of it.
- Tire Clearance – with more tire choices than any platform, the 29” wheel easily accommodates off road as well as commuting tires.
- Taller Riders – 29" bikes tend to offer taller riders a more “natural” frame geometry.
The Sortie 29 2.0 blends affordability with high-quality build. Diamondback's 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum frame features a hydroformed top tube, a butted and formed downtube, a seatstay bridge, tapered headtube, a larger 142mm x 12mm vertical drop out and Diamondbacks legendary Knuckle Box Suspension technology.
The Knuckle Box, or bell crank, is the core of Diamondback's single-pivot four-bar suspension platform. Optimally placed pivots equate to a low leverage ratio, and ultimately to superior pedaling efficiency and small-bump compliance. This also allows the shock to work more efficiently and reduces pedal induced motion, reducing overall load on the system which will lead to improved shock and bearing life. Placing the Knuckle Box low within the frame situates the greatest weight of the bike closer to the bottom bracket. This lowers the bike’s center of gravity and allows it to better track and corner.
A benefit of Diamondback's four-bar linkage is increased control over the wheel-rate. Wheel-rate—the effective spring-rate when measured at the wheel—is also one of the most significant aspects of a suspension system. Working closely with Fox, Diamondback was able to optimize the wheel-rate to be linear-to-slightly progressive. This results in superb small-bump compliance, more perceived travel and excellent bottom-out protection. The Sortie 29 2.0 features a Fox Float CTD Air Shock with Boost Valve. The extra volume “LV” 190×51mm air shock with rebound adjust CTD Pedal Platform On/Off lever provides a feeling of endless travel and plushness like that of a downhill rig, but with XC pedaling efficiency. Dial in climb, trail, or descend mode instantly.
The Sortie29 2.0 features quality componentry in an economical package, starting with the Fox 32 Float CTD 29 Air 130mm travel fork. This fork comes with an open bath cartridge, rebound, lever actuated lockout, butted alloy tapered 1.5 steerer, 32mm Easton aluminum stanchions, magnesium lowers, and a QR15mm Thru Axle Dropout. The lockout function comes in handy for sustained climbing. And at a hair under 4lbs, this little beast helps to keep weight down.
Complementing Fox’s impressive suspension suite on the Sortie 29 2.0 is a rock-solid Shimano package featuring: a Shimano FCM552 Dyna-Sys 10spd Crankset with an outboard bearing bottom bracket (24/32/42t), Shimano SLX 10spd Rapidfire shifters, SLX front derailleur, XT SGS Shadow Plus 10spd rear derailleur, Shimano HG81 SLX 10spd Cassette (11-36t), HG74 10spd chain, 32h WTB Speed Disc 29 Doublewall rims laced to sealed cartridge bearing hubs (15mm front/142×12 rear), a set of Shimano M446 Hydraulic disc brakes with 180mm front / 160mm rear rotors, Easton EA50 cockpit, seat post and a WTB VIGO comp saddle.
Knuckle Box Frame Characteristics:
- Tapered Head tube – Today’s longer travel forks generate more stress on the head tube. Add in today’s more aggressive rider and the need for additional strength in that region becomes imperative. Thus the 2014 Sortie 29er frame is equipped with a tapered head tube for enhanced steering and extra strength.
- 142×12 mm Thru Axle – Employing Shimano’s new 142×12 mm E-Thru design makes for a stiffer and stronger rear-end on the bike.
- Single-Sided Hardware – Single-sided oversized heat treated hardware is used for the three main pivot points allows for easy access to your 14 high-quality Enduro Max bearings simply with standard tools. No more removing the crankset to tighten or service your pivots.
- Partnership w/ Fox – By providing suspension kinematics early in the design process, Fox is able to custom tune their shock to work precisely with DB's frames, improving performance.
LOW AND TIGHT – The Knuckle Box platform was designed specifically to be low and tight:
- Low center of gravity: All suspension parts are positioned farther down on the frame for a stable and balanced ride.
- Low leverage suspension design: Lower air pressure results in longer shock life, less frame loading and better pedaling.
- Tight, compact linkage system of the Knuckle Box bell crank isolates and cradles the rear shock.
- Tight and large anodized aluminum hardware, matched with Force-Rated Enduro Max Bearings: Withstands higher loads and better handles oscillating motion.
|Sizes||15.5" Small, 17" Medium, 19" Large, 21" XLarge|
|Frame||Sortie 29r Trail 125mm 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum w/ Taper Head Tube / Hydroformed Top Tube, Butted / Formed Down Tube / Seatstays, Under Arch Seatstay bridge, Knuckle Box Technology, 142x12mm E-Thru Axle Drop out|
|Fork||Fox 32 Float CTD 29 Air, 130mm travel, open cartridge, with ext. rebound / lock out, butted Alloy Tapered 1.5 steerer, 32mm Easton aluminum stanchions, magnesium lowers, QR15 Thru Axle Drop out|
|Rear Shock||Fox Float CTD Boost Valve "LV" eyelet 7.875x2.00" Air w/ rebound adj, Climb, Trail, Descend lever|
|Cranks||Shimano FCM552 Dyna-Sys 10spd Crankset w/ replacable rings 24/32/42t|
|Bottom Bracket||Shimano outboard bearing BB|
|F. Derailleur||Shimano SLX High Direct Mount 3x10|
|R. Derailleur||Shimano XT SGS Shawdow Plus, 10spd|
|Shifters||Shimano SLX 10spd Rapidfire|
|Brake Levers||Shimano Deore M505 radial w/ hinge clamp, reach adj|
|Brakes||Shimano M446 Hydraulic Disc w/ 6-bolt, 180mm frt / 160mm rear Rotors|
|Cassette||Shimano HG81 SLX 10spd Cassette (11-36t)|
|Rims||32h WTB Speed Disc 29 Doublewall|
|Tires||WTB Wolverine 2.2 Comp, Folding|
|Pedals||Shimano 520 Clipless|
|Handlebar||Easton EA30 Lowrise 31.8mm|
|Stem||Easton EA50 31.8mm|
|Seatpost||Easton EA50 Double bolt clamp 30.9mm|
|Seat||WTB Silverado Comp|
|Headset||FSA No57 Taper 1.5 / 1 1/8" Alloy cups, Sealed Cartridge|
|Chain||Shimana HG74 10spd|
|Hubset||Front: 32h 15QR Alloy Sealed Bearing Disc w/ 15mm Thru Axle
Rear: 32h 142x12 sealed cartridge bearing, 12mm thru axle, Cassette w/ CNC Disc mount, w/ Shimano E-Thru QR Axle
|Spokes||Black 14g Stainless Steel|
|Grips||DB4L 135mm Kraton|
|Extras||Knuckle Box Shock Pump, Sag Gauge, DB Key Chain, Owner’s manual / Sortie owner's manual cover, Chainstay Protector, Clear Coat, H20 bottle mounts|
|Note: Specifications subject to change at any time|
|Size||15.5" Small||17" Medium||19" Large||21" XLarge|
|Seat Tube Length||15.5"||17"||19"||21"|
|Top Tube Length||22.5"||23.5"||24"||25"|
|Head Tube Length||100mm||110mm||130mm||140mm|
|Chain Stay Length||455mm||455mm||455mm||455mm|
|Seat Post Length||300mm||300mm||300mm||300mm|